Surprise? Collaborative Mission? Teamwork from Beginning to End? The million dollar question: “How involved should she be in the engagement ring shopping process?” On the one hand, you want to surprise her. On the other hand, you want it to be a ring she absolutely adores. Sorry guys - we wish it was a straight forward answer we could provide you with, but there really is no “how it is supposed to be”.
Many guys choose to make it a solo mission, some couples narrow down choices together, and then some couples actually share the experience together from beginning to end. All these scenarios work, as there are no standard rules for engagement ring shopping. It is really up to you and her to determine how much she should participate in shopping for her engagement ring.
Some guys want it to be a total surprise, so they take on a solo mission. Others look for hints from their girlfriends to get them started and then make the final decision on their own. Then there are couples who take on a team approach from beginning to end, by shopping for engagement rings together to narrowing it down to a handful of rings to actually purchasing the ring together.
If you want to it to be a total surprise, then we recommend getting a few hints. Seeking out hints (think James Bond 007 style!) is both a perfectly acceptable and advisable way to start.
- Look for opportunities in everyday life to get her opinion on different rings and styles. Think while watching TV, or flipping through magazines, or window shopping… Casually ask her general open-ended questions.
- Take note of the jewelry she wears most often to get a better sense of her taste and personal preferences.
- How does she dress? Classic? Modern? Trendy? Generally speaking, her overall sense of style should carry over.
- Enlist the help of one of her close girlfriends, who is willing to act as a double agent “go-between.”
- Ask for some basic parameters to help you make a confident decision. Things like diamond shape, type of metal (yellow or white gold), setting style, etc.
- Bring her to a Spence to conduct a scouting mission. She can try on as many of our 3,000 ring prototypes as she wants to. Make an afternoon or evening affair out of it… It will be fun – we promise!
Keep in mind, there really is no code or etiquette to engagement ring shopping, and it doesn’t make it any less romantic if she is involved. In fact, there is no better way to ensure you find the ring she really wants than having her input throughout the process. Remember, you’re the one who still decides when, where and how you are going to propose.
A Jewelry Store You’ll Both Enjoy…
We know the whole thing feels overwhelming, but you can handle it. Spence has your back. We’re here for you whenever you’re ready to get started on a ring that will far exceed her expectations. Hope to see you soon.